Sunday, October 12, 2008

Conversations with a 3 year old


Parker is our funny guy.  He loves to laugh.  He loves to be tickled.  He loves to run.  He loves to ask why.   He also loves to be the backseat driver!  

A few months ago, Parker became fascinated with 'STOP' signs.  Any time we drove by, near or upon a STOP sign, he would scream at the top of his lungs, "MOM!  STOP!".  And if you ask him what he wants to be for Halloween?  You guessed it... A STOP sign!

Conversation #1

The Setting:  Driving Hannah to school, still in my pajamas, still half sleeping, sipping tea and answering Parker's never ending curiosities

Parker:  "Mom, Stop.  STOP, there's a STOP sign!"

Me:  "Oh, honey, that STOP sign isn't for us, it's for the other lane of traffic"

Parker:  "Why?"

Me:  "Because we are on the busier street so those cars have to stop and wait their turn".

We continue our drive and take our exit to Hannah's school.

Parker:  "Mom, STOP!  There's a red sign.  MOM!  You didn't STOP and it was a red sign!  Mom, you're supposed to STOP!".

Me:  "Parker, it's okay, that sign just has a little bit of red on it, and it was a triangle shape, it's called a YIELD sign, not a STOP sign.  So we don't actually have to STOP we just have to drive slow".

Parker:  "But it was red,  MOM!  Red means STOP!"

I don't actually remember what I said next, but it was quite a challenge trying to explain the different shaped signs having different rules.  

Conversation #2

The Setting:  Living room.  I'm on the couch trying to catch a quick nap after a rough night with Hannah, while Parker gets to watch a cartoon.  

Me:  "Okay, bubbie, let's watch a cartoon so Mommy can take a quick nap."

Parker:  "Okay, I want Curious George."

Me:  "I can't find any, honey.  How about The Backyardigans?"

Parker:  "Yeah!".

I am just about to nod off when Parker YELLS:

Parker:  "MOM!  I HAVE SOME BAD NEWS!"

Me:  Sitting up wide eyed with worry.  "What is it?"

Parker:  "I only like The Backyardigans now, not Curious George."

Me:  sighing with relief that it isn't anything terribly serious.  "Oh my, that is bad news."

Parker:  "Well, sometimes I still like Curious George."

Me:  "Well, that would be good news then!"




 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What great moments, with both Parker and Hannah, to treasure. When I see them I, too, am amazed at watching their minds take in the world. Part of that is due to their amazing parents encouraging that! I just love you guys! love, Daria