Monday, March 3, 2008

Fourth time's a charm!

I gave Hannah her fourth shot on Thursday.  It went sooo much better than the last two, thankfully! 
 
Michael was home for this shot.  I gave Hannah a quick reminder that I was preparing her meds as she continued to play.  Michael sat with her while she iced her leg and then held her on his lap, with her face buried into his chest.  I rubbed her leg with alcohol and began explaining all the steps, quickly but thoroughly, so there were no surprises.  I gave a quick count down, poked and removed, in three seconds or less.  It wasn't until the needle was out that she began to cry.
 
 As always, Hannah immediately climbed onto my lap for a snuggle while we iced her leg again.  I welcome these snuggles the most since I am the one inflicting pain and it feels way more natural to snuggle your little one rather than cause pain.  There was a slight bruise the next day but that is normal.

Phew!  Now we don't have to think about it again until Thursday!  I'm so proud of Hannah for being so brave!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!! I know the first couple were really hard so I am so happy to hear that this one was much easier! They will just get easier from here on out. Congrats to you both for your huge amount of courage!
love you! Daria

Anonymous said...

My 6 yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with systemic onset jra and is also on methotrexate for 6 weeks now, but we havent seen any improvement so far, the only releive she has gotten is from prednisolone but she is now putting on weight. Your story and blog has made me more informed about jra and treatments available. I am curious how you guys got Hannah in to Boston because my daughter (Mikayla) is seen at Dartmouth in Manchester and I feel like there could be more done. If you could possibly send me info about the childrens hospital and also the fund raiser in may. Thankyou in advance, Barry (kaotic227@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

I too have a daughter with Systemic onset JRA. My Sammy started at age 8. She is turning 12 next week and I can tell everyone... it does get better.
Glad to hear shots are getting better for you. Sammy was on Methotrexate and Remicade IV infusions but recently her body started rejecting them and we have changed meds. These kids are so brave and have to go through a lot and everyone always says "I didn't even know anything was wrong with her" If they only knew or saw them on a bad day. Good luck with all her treatments... sincerely
Bridgett -- Concord
bridgeb@comcast.net

Lani said...

Hello Thompson Family,
My name is Lani. My daughter Stacy has Poly-JRA. She has had it most of her life. She will be two next next month. Her ANA is positive as well, and I xxxxx my fingers this crappy disease leaves her alone long enough to learn how to walk unassisted. The methotrexate and naproxen help, but it's never enough. PT, OT, early intervention. Crooked bent legs, swollen pain everywhere....these disease are totally underestimated!!! Great job spreading awareness!!!
Sending happy and healthy wishes to you all :)
The Dupuis Family (Tewksbury, MA.)